Thursday, October 31, 2013

Colleges, Universities and the Entrepreneurial Mind Set

Most all universities have career days and brag about putting 85% of the graduates in top fortune 500 companies as a way to get parents to pony up the money and attract top students to their schools. Colleges and universities and their placement, well this is a very big part of what they do and why people go to college in the first place. Indeed these employers is where a lot of funding comes from, interns as well. But what if you are an entrepreneur and not on the career-employment track?Let me explain my premise. You see, I attended some college and I have an AS, AA, but I do not count those, it seemed more like a continuation of advanced HS classes to me. I believe for me, it was a waste of time. I had a business to run and I knew enough to know that the brain washing was not for what I was looking for.Additionally, these colleges were not teaching to my abilities only making me absorb through rote memorization. This was not answering my questions that came from real world experience prior to attendance. That is my experience. I am of the belief that a life time of learning is far more important.Many people stop learning after college, now on-going education requirements in many fields is making people continue, but on their own many do not. That is a shame and a 10-year old degree in many fields is worthless for the most part as new technologies come into play. Worse off only about 25% of the people with degrees ever remain in that field over time.Now, I am very careful when someone trumpets their degrees in my face, because in the real (business) world anyway, I only care about one thing. Winning and performance, not a piece of paper. Either they have what it takes or they are soaking up real money and not getting the job done; so see ya! They are outta here.Lots of letters next to their name, sure thats nice, but results are much more exciting. I find it funny often that after all I have done some folks just think because I do not have some advanced degree that I do not know what I am talking about, because I do. Someone once accused me of going to a diploma mill, that is insane, I certainly would not do such a thing.In fact, I have a McDonalds hat hanging in my office it says; "Here is my Degree" and it is a badge of honor to not have one and still have built my company. I suppose Gates and others feel the same, "in your face" but I have never heard them say it, I just suspect it. Entrepreneurs who know their stuff need not have a piece of paper proving it.I certainly hope this article is of interest and that is has propelled thought. The goal is simple; to help you in your quest to be the best in 2007. I thank you for reading my many articles on diverse subjects, which interest you.